Spartan News

Spartan spring sports off to a great start

Trevor Hughes, Writer

Spring sports are in full swing at Sumner high school. These sports include baseball, boys soccer, softball, boys and girls lacrosse, girls tennis, and track.

The spartan baseball team is currently 4-1, with wins over Mount Si, Bonney Lake, Wenatchee, and South Kitsap. Their next game is Friday, March 23rd at Curtis High School, and their next home game is Tuesday, March 27th against Puyallup.

Boys soccer is showing up this year, starting the season 2-0 with wins over South Kitsap and Curtis. The spartans beat Curtis on Wednesday 2-1 with a late goal scored by Alec Labarge and assisted by Jared Butler. Their next game is Friday, March 23rd at Graham-Kapowsin at 7:30 pm.

Girls softball has won their first three games with a dominant performance. They beat Fife 10-5, Thomas Jefferson 11-1, and Enumclaw 17-13. The team’s next game is today, March 22nd against South Kitsap at home, at 4:00 pm.

Boys lacrosse is also off to a 3-0 start. They have secured wins over GK, Emerald Ridge, and Rogers. Girls lacrosse has only played one game so far, but they dominated, taking a 16-0 win against GK. Girls’ next game is today, March 22nd at Mount Si.

Girls tennis is off to a 2-1 start, with wins over Cascade Christian and Puyallup. These girls are tough and ready to keep playing all the way to State. Their next match is today, March 22nd at home against GK at 3:30 pm.

Boys track won yesterday against South Kitsap with a score of 81-63. Girls track is still looking for their first win, but they will have good chances with the Kent-Meridian Invitational on March 24th, and their next league meet at Puyallup on April 5th.

Lets continue to keep supporting our spring sports and try to go to as many games as you can!